Baked Spaghetti Squash Bolognese (Paleo, Keto)
A paleo & keto friendly version of the classic "spaghetti bolognese" made with spaghetti squash and authentic sauce. Perfect family friendly freezer meal!
Spaghetti Bolognese. This is my happy place. As a child, my mum would pick me up from school with a small bowl full of warm, cheesy spaghetti bolognese and I would eat it on the way to ballet class. Despite eating perhaps over a thousand bowls of "spag bol" in my life, it's still one of my favorite comfort food dishes.
Since adopting a paleo lifestyle, I have ditched the standard noodles and have adopted either zucchini noodles, almond flour pasta (Capello's is my fave) or spaghetti squash. What I love about the spaghetti squash is that you can turn it into a big baked casserole and it makes for great leftovers. This baked spaghetti squash bolognese is a freezer-friendly, family-friendly, and nourishing dinner option that the entire family can agree on.
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS SPAGHETTI SQUASH BOLOGNESE
- Bolognese sauce, if you're wondering what it is, is a slow cooking sauce that typically includes ingredients such as onion, celery and carrot, beef, wine, and a small amount of tomato paste or tomatoes. The dish is then simmered over low heat for a long time, which ultimately results in a thick sauce. I have sped things up with this homemade sauce (because who has time to let a sauce simmer for hours) but it's still pretty authentic!
- That being said, if you find that your Bolognese sauce is too thin for your liking, simply allow the pan to simmer over low heat (uncovered) until it reaches the desired consistency.
- This sauce can be used as a pasta sauce, lasagna sauce, or even eaten by itself with some of my paleo bread.
- Don't feel you need to add the cheese. I know many of you are dairy-free and don't have access or time to obtain a good DF cheese. This recipe will taste just as delicious without the DF or raw cheese topping as you see in the pictures.
- BAKE YOUR SPAGHETTI SQUASH WHOLE! Ever tried cutting a raw spaghetti squash? It's a serious struggle. To save time and energy, pop the entire squash in the oven on the shelf and bake for an hour before attempting to tackle it. It will cut like smooth butter.
I think that's about it. If you have any questions feel free to email me: firstname.lastname@example.org or post them over on my IG or FB pages.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE BELLA GRACE WELLNESS NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE FRESH RECIPES AND TOXIN-FREE LIVING TIPS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #BELLAGRACEWELLNESS for a chance to be featured!
Baked Spaghetti Squash Bolognese
Makes One Large Bake
1 large spaghetti squash
2 tablespoons cooking oil of choice
1/2 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon rosemary
2 teaspoons paprika
1 lb. grass-fed, organic ground beef
1 can crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
optional: grass-fed, raw cheese or dairy-free cheese, shredded
1) Preheat the oven to 375F.
2) Put the entire spaghetti squash in the oven (whole) and bake for one hour.
3) Meanwhile, make the bolognese sauce. In a large saucepan, saute diced onion in cooking oil of choice until translucent.
4) Add garlic, herbs, and ground beef and cook for 5-6 minutes or until beef is cooked through. Use a wooden spatula to chop up the meat and mix everything together.
5) Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring sauce to the boil and then let simmer for 20 minutes, or until some of the liquid has decreased.
6) Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and slice in half. Remove seeds and using a fork, shred the squash into noodle shapes. Set aside in a large bowl.
7) Whisk three eggs and mix in with the spaghetti squash. Add the bolognese sauce to the bowl. Stir until combined.
8) Pour the mixture into a 9x9 baking dish, top with shredded cheese if you wish, and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Chocolate Collagen Protein Balls (Paleo, Keto)
Easy + delicious protein filled snack made with high-quality collagen and minimal ingredients. Paleo and Keto friendly.
Paleo Beef Enchilada Casserole
A delicious, Paleo + Keto friendly beef enchilada casserole. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo. This healthy one pan meal will feed the entire family!