Bella's Birthday Black Forest Gateau Cake (Paleo)
Black Forest Gateau free from grains, refined-sugar and dairy. The perfect occasion cake for your Paleo friend!
Happy Birthday ME! Today is my 24th birthday and due to being the fussiest dessert eater ever, I decided to make my own cake this year.
Besides, making a Black Forest Cake has been on my bucket list for ages. Yes, I have a long list in the notes section of my phone full of all sorts of creations I want to bake some day.
I remember this decadent cake from my teenage years- the Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte- a moist dark chocolate sponge infused with cherry liquor, fluffy whipped cream and those horrible for you, but delicious maraschino cherries.
Legends say that the chocolate shavings that decorate the cake, look like the forest trees, hence the reason for it's name. Another says that the name is a homage to the kirsch liqueur, which is produced in the Black Forest region. And a third possible legend claims that the cake was inspired in the traditional costume of country girls in some parts of the Black Forest, reflecting their dark brown skirts (chocolate), their white blouses (whipped cream) and their large cherry-red woolen bobbles. Who knows?!
Anyway, my version is surprisingly simple. Just bake my all-time favorite, super easy chocolate cake, add a simple coconut whipped cream for frosting, and fresh organic cherries. That’s really all you need. I did ditch the traditional cherry syrup using kirsch to make it alcohol friendly as Max and I aren't big drinkers, but feel free to add a little to the sponge for a classic kick. I also kept it at two layers, since it's just Max and I enjoying this scrummy gateau, but feel free to double the cake recipe and make four layers!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE BELLA GRACE WELLNESS NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE FRESH RECIPES AND TOXIN-FREE LIVING TIPS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #BELLAGRACEWELLNESS for a chance to be featured!
Black Forest Gateau
Makes One Large Gateau
For the Cake:
1 cup almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup cacao powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
4 organic eggs
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup grass-fed butter or coconut oil
½ cup dark chocolate chips (we used Lily’s stevia sweetened)
For the Frosting and Icing:
13-14 oz coconut cream (cream NOT milk works best).
1/4 cup sweetener of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Fruit Topping:
16 oz frozen organic cherries
1 tablespoon grass-fed butter or coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
Shaved dark chocolate (we used Lily’s stevia sweetened)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease two 6-inch round pans with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, cacao powder, baking soda and pinch of salt.
- Add maple syrup and melted fat of choice and combine.
- Add eggs and mix again until smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter evenly into the two cake pans and pop in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool. They will be flatter than your typical cake- that's okay!
- While cooling, make your coconut cream whipped frosting by beating together stiff coconut cream, sweetener, and vanilla until fluffy and smooth.
- For the cherry mixture, add the cherries to a sauce pan over medium heat with all the juice in the bag (frozen cherries have a good amount of juice). Add the butter, vanilla and almond. When hot, sprinkle the arrowroot powder in the saucepan and let it thicken.
- Once the cakes have cooled, add the whipped cream to the top of one and pour half the cherry drizzle over the top. Sandwich with the remaining cake and again, top with coconut cream frosting and the rest of the cherry drizzle. Add shaved dark chocolate to the top!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Thai Yellow Curry (Paleo, Keto)
A deliciously simple Thai yellow curry packed with organic chicken, mixed vegetables and a fragrant homemade sauce. Paleo, Keto + RESTART friendly.
Cookies and Cream Chocolate Cake (Paleo)
Absolutely delicious grain-free cookies and cream chocolate cake perfect for any occasion! Includes homemade keto Oreo's recipe.