Death By Chocolate Cupcakes (Grain-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
Grain-free "Death by Chocolate" cupcakes with a creamy refined sugar-free frosting and topped with homemade almond butter cups. Paleo/Keto friendly!
Max and I have recently got into binge-watching the Great British Baking Show. If you haven't seen it on Netflix, I highly recommend it, although it will make you wanting delicious desserts, pastries and breads. It's totally inspired me to bake more. I've spent the last few evenings spending far too much time looking up complicated desserts with all sorts of elaborate flavors and planning all sorts of recipes to try.
Baking grain-free, sugar-free desserts is actually what led to my career as a nutritionist. I hated that my brother Billy, who has autism, would feel so left out when we were eating sugar-filled treats after our Sunday roast. I hated it so much so that I took it upon myself to create a sugar, dairy and gluten-free version of the dessert for him every week. The funny thing is that we all preferred the healthier version to the real thing and it didn't take long for my entire family to adopt the sugar-free, grain-free lifestyle. Today, we all know how to make a good paleo cake, crumble, or cookies!
These chocolate cupcakes are incredible. They are indulgent, creamy, rich and taste so naughty. In reality, they are low-carb/ketogenic, grain-free, refined sugar-free and dairy-free. I topped mine with my own almond butter cups but you can also buy great options at health food stores. Some nut butter cup brands I love include Eating Evolved's Coconut Butter Cups (refined sugar-free) or Justin's Organic Almond Butter Cups (non-GMO). You can decorate how you like though, some other great ideas are dark chocolate chips, homemade sprinkles (DYE FREE PLEASE) or swirls of coconut butter.
Death by Chocolate Cupcakes
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cacao powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup sweetener of choice (I used coconut palm sugar)
1/2 cup nut milk (the thicker the better)
1/4 cup full-fat coconut cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup grass-fed butter OR coconut oil if dairy-free
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup nut milk
1/4 cup grass-fed butter or coconut oil
2-3 tablespoons sweetener of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Any toppings you may want to add!
1) Preheat oven to 350F and line cupcake pan with 8 liners.
2) In a large bowl, mix almond flour, coconut flour, cacao powder and baking soda.
3) In a separate bowl, combine milk, cream, vanilla extract, butter/coconut oil and eggs. Mix well.
4) Add wet ingredients to dry and stir or whisk until smooth with no lumps.
5) Divide the mixture into 8 cupcake liners and bake for 30 minutes.
6) While the cupcakes are baking, make your frosting.
7) In a large saucepan, melt grass-fed butter or coconut oil over a low heat. Add sweetener of choice and stir for 2-3 minutes until granules have dissolved.
8) Add chocolate chips, milk and vanilla extract and stir until smooth. Turn off heat and let cool slightly before transferring to the refrigerator. Keep refrigerated for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
9) Remove cupcakes from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
10) Remove frosting from the fridge. If it's too hard, you can whip it in your food processor to create a buttercream texture. Put in a piping bag and frost cooled cupcakes, or just spread with a knife. I topped mine with almond butter cups and they were delicious!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Matcha Collagen Latte
A high-protein, paleo friendly matcha latte made with collagen protein and minimal ingredients. Delicious + frothy! No fancy equipment required.
Teriyaki Almond Butter Salmon (Paleo)
Deliciously simple teriyaki almond butter sauce drizzled over wild-caught salmon. Paleo, Ketogenic and RESTART approved.