Chocolate Hemp Energy Bites (Paleo, Keto, Vegan)
I keep these energy bites in my fridge so that I have a grab-and-go snack on hand packed with healthy fats and protein. Paleo, Keto, and Vegan friendly!
I'm sure there are some of you who are slightly freaking out about the use of hemp seeds in this recipe. You aren't alone. Hemp seeds were ignored for their nutritional benefits for decades because of it's botanical relationship to cannabis. No need to worry, these little seeds won't result in any psychotropic reactions or get you high, they just have so much to offer when it comes to nutrition.
Let's talk about the benefits of consuming hemp seeds:
1) They have an excellent 3:1 balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. This promotes cardiovascular health.
2) They are high in GLA (gamma-Linoleic acid). This is an omega-6 fatty acid that has been linked to improving hormone balance.
3) They are often referred to as a “perfect protein” as they contain all 20 amino acids AND each of the nine essential amino acids that our bodies cannot produce.
4) They are high in soluble and insoluble fiber which helps to keep your digestive system regular. The mixture of fibers also feed the probiotics in your belly for better gut health.
5) Hemp seeds are a natural appetite suppressant. They promote satiety so they are helpful for those looking to lose weight.
There are so many more. Hemp seed oil is also an incredible thing to keep in your beauty cabinet and it has been linked to assisting chronic skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
See! There is no reason to fear these little nutrient dense seeds. In fact, you should totally make this recipe because it's not only delicious and an awesome afternoon energy booster, but has 3/4 cup of them! I keep these energy bites in my fridge so that I have a grab-and-go snack on hand packed with healthy fats and protein.
Chocolate Hemp Energy Bites
(Makes 8 bites)
1/3 cup almond butter
2 oz unsweetened dark chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp coconut oil
2/3 cup Swerve confectioners-style sweetener (or sweetener of choice)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup hemp seeds
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large saucepan over low heat, combine almond butter, dark chocolate, and coconut oil. Stir until smooth. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Whisk in the sweetener, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add hemp seeds and unsweetened coconut and mix in until fully covered in the chocolate mixture.
- Form little balls with the mixture and pop onto the prepared baking sheet. You may want to use a spoon for this as it can be messy! Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
I store my energy bites in the fridge and they will last for 2 weeks (not in my house!)
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Ginger Currant Cookies (Paleo, Vegan)
Deliciously chewy Paleo and Vegan ginger cookies studded with organic currants.
Matcha Collagen Latte
A high-protein, paleo friendly matcha latte made with collagen protein and minimal ingredients. Delicious + frothy! No fancy equipment required.