Cream of Mushroom Soup (Paleo, Keto)
A deliciously creamy mushroom soup, homemade and free from grains, dairy, and junk. Paleo, Keto friendly, RESTART approved!
It's a cold Winter y'all. I saw on the news this morning that Chicago is going to be the coldest it's been since the early 1980's this weekend. 21 DEGREES BELOW ZERO. Insane. I don't think I've ever even felt more than one or two degrees below zero... degrees C. Stay warm my Illinois friends, you will be in my prayers this weekend!
There's no better way to warm up than to enjoy big bowls of steamy soup with a few slices of warm crusty bread on the side. This homemade cream of mushroom soup is the perfect pick-me-up for these last few chilly months.
WHICH MUSHROOMS SHOULD I BE USING?
I love to use a variety of mushrooms in my soup. Typically, the bulk of my recipe is cremini mushrooms with around 6 oz. of shiitake mushrooms. I not only love mixing the mushrooms for a more intricate taste, but for the variety of health benefits different mushrooms bring! You truly can use any type of mushroom in this soup though.
OTHER LITTLE TIPS WHEN IT COMES TO MAKING THIS YUMMY SOUP
- I'm currently following the RESTART program so I'm not adding any thickeners such as arrowroot starch into my soup, however, if you prefer a thicker, creamier soup, I highly recommend adding 2 tablespoons arrowroot or tapioca starch to the recipe.
- If you’d prefer to turn this recipe into a bisque, just puree the whole batch until smooth!
- Serving suggestion? With a big hunk of this bread, or this one.
However you enjoy your soup, be sure to warm up this weekend with a big bowl of creamy goodness! Your body and soul will thank you!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Makes 4 large bowls
2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or Ghee
1 yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
16 oz mushrooms, chopped
1 cup coconut cream
3 cups organic bone broth
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
optional: cooked chicken, shredded
1) In a large saucepan, melt butter with onion and garlic over a low heat. Saute until onions are translucent.
2) Add chopped mushrooms and saute for 3-5 minutes until soft.
3) Add coconut cream, bone broth, salt, pepper, and parsley. Add chicken if you are using it. Stir to combine.
4) Let soup simmer on low for one hour. Serve!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
AIP Plantain Bread
Easy and delicious AIP bread made with plantains. Nut free, egg free, grain free.
AIP Lemon Rosemary Shortbread Cookies
Crumbly and buttery shortbread cookies with a hint of lemon and fresh rosemary. AIP, Paleo, Keto, Vegan.