Creamy Chicken & Butternut Squash Soup w/ Paleo Croutons
Creamy Chicken & Butternut Squash Soup is healthy, hearty and filling. It has a great flavor from the herbs and spices, and a creaminess from the squash.
It's never too early to enjoy a piping hot bowl of the coziest wintery butternut squash soup ever. Yes, it is still 94 degrees in Austin at the moment but nothing stops me from enjoying a large serving of hot soup with a handful of crusty paleo croutons.
There are two secrets that are very simple but very crucial to make this soup what it is is.
1) Roasting the squash. Roasting the squash at high heat until lightly browned enhances its sweetness significantly, and brings out its best possible flavor.
2) The blender. By blending the squash with the bone broth and spices, you get this deliciously creamy puree and then add the tender shredded chicken, spinach, and bacon crumbles for some extra goodness.
The result is a deliciously creamy, soft and silky, warming and cozy, HEALTH GIVING soup perfect to eat all year round. Enjoy!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE BELLA GRACE WELLNESS NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE FRESH RECIPES AND TOXIN-FREE LIVING TIPS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #BELLAGRACEWELLNESS for a chance to be featured!
Chicken & Butternut Squash Soup
for the soup:
4 tablespoons cooking oil of choice
6 slices nitrate-free, organic bacon, chopped into small pieces
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 large butternut squash
3 ½ cups organic bone broth
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
1 cup organic spinach leaves
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
for the croutons:
1) Preheat oven to 425F. Toss squash with olive oil and roast for about 30 minutes until squash is partially cooked. Remove from the oven and set aside.
2) Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add in the bacon and cook until crispy. Set aside.
3) In the bacon fat (add additional cooking oil to the pan if not enough), add the diced onion and garlic, and saute for about 5 minutes.
4) Add salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, partially cooked butternut squash and bone broth, and stir.
5) Place a lid on the pot and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 15 minutes.
6) Remove from the heat. Blend soup either with a handheld blender or in a Vitamix until pureed.
7) Add shredded chicken, spinach and parsley to the blended soup. Add a little more seasoning if you fancy.
8) Serve in bowls with bacon crumbled over the top, and my paleo bread, toasted and chopped into little squares.
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Raspberry Chocolate Brownies (Paleo)
Truly delicious paleo raspberry chocolate fudge brownies. Easy to make with only the best ingredients. These make a wonderful Valentine's Day dessert!
Practical Tips for Picky Eaters
Maybe you struggle with certain foods, or maybe you have a picky eater in your house. Try some of these practical tips to finding food freedom!