Creamy Tomato Salmon Planks (Paleo, Keto)
This is a keto skillet baked salmon (sourced responsibly of course) smothered in paleo tomato cream sauce & it's pretty darn delicious. ENJOY!
As I mentioned before, this week is pretty crazy for me so bear with me as I post infrequently until I'm settled into my new home and have finished my pesky exams (and the heaps of studying that come with them). Since sharing on my IG story just how delicious this salmon dish was, I've had several requests for me to post the recipe ASAP- so here it is.
Let's quickly talk about salmon quality before I continue:
Salmon is one of my favorite proteins for so many reasons. It’s delicious, full of omega-3’s & helps with everything from skin to better eyesight, BUT where are you getting it from? Is it farm raised (genetically engineered & colored) or wild caught? Where is it from?
The majority of salmon consumed in the US is farmed in poor conditions & environmental practices. Unfortunately, farmed salmon nearly always equals genetically engineered, which of course is NOT natural or beneficial for your health. Please pick your quality wisely!
So, if you love creamy dishes as much as I do and appreciate the lower (or no) dairy content, this one is for you. This is a skillet baked crispy salmon (sourced responsibly of course) smothered in tomato cream sauce that pairs really well with any vegetable or salad dish you adore, & it's pretty darn delicious. ENJOY!
Creamy Tomato Salmon Planks
2 6oz. salmon fillets (wild-caught)
1 tablespoon grass-fed butter, or cooking fat of choice
1 clove garlic
1 yellow onion, sliced
1/4 cup vodka
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/3 cup organic heavy cream, or coconut cream (dairy-free option)
2 tablespoons water
10 leaves basil, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
salt and pepper to taste
optional and highly recommended: 2 slices of bacon
1) Place a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. If you are using bacon, add two slices to the pan and let cook for approx. 4 minutes. Set aside.
2) Use the bacon fat or add cooking oil to the skillet. Wait until the pan is hot. Lightly salt salmon planks and lay them in the skillet skin side up. Let cook for 3-4 minutes, flip, and let cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. The salmon will become lighter in color when it is done. Remove and set aside.
3) Reduce the heat to just below medium. Add more cooking fat if necessary. Add onions and garlic and stir to soften.
4) Move the pan off the burner and slowly add 1/4 cup vodka. Bring back to heat, stirring until vodka has reduced by over half.
5) Add tomato paste, heavy cream/coconut cream and water and gently stir. Add bacon, lemon zest, basil and additional seasoning. Stir again, ensuring the vodka smell has burned off.
6) Serve the salmon planks on a plate, topped with the sauce. Enjoy with your favorite veggie- we love sautéed asparagus with ours!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Almond and Orange Biscotti (Paleo)
Paleo Friendly Almond and Orange Biscotti Coated in a Dark Chocolate Glaze. The Perfect Holiday Treat!
Mexican Wedding Cookies (Paleo)
Grain-free, Paleo Friendly Mexican Wedding Cookies/ Snowballs/ Russian Tea Cakes. Whatever you call them, they're delicious!