Dark Chocolate Orange Madeleines (Paleo)
Light and fluffy dark chocolate orange Madeleine cakes free from grains, dairy and refined sugar. Paleo + Gluten-Free approved!
WHAT ON EARTH ARE MADELEINES?
I hear you! Madeleines are little French tea cakes recognized by their scallop seashell shape. These buttery sponges are crisp on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. They are most delicious when eaten straight out of the oven!
Although these bite size cakes are extremely easy to make, to get their distinct shape, you will need to purchase a madeleine baking sheet. I have an awesome silicone one that you can find on Amazon for very cheap! In fact, it's cheaper to buy a madeleine pan than a case of madeleines (filled with junk too) so it's a great investment.
SOME TIPS FOR MAKING THESE MADELEINES
Grease your silicone pan with coconut oil or grass-fed butter. You don't want these babies to stick and they are very delicate.
Don't over or under pack each well with batter. One tablespoon is the perfect amount!
Get creative with flavor! These madeleines are dark chocolate orange because (a) I adore this flavor combination and (b) it's just such a festive taste in my opinion. That being said, have fun with your flavors here. Try a white chocolate raspberry, a cinnamon spice, a lemon citrus, or even just a vanilla!
Most of all, enjoy them! These are not only delicious but fun to bake as well. They are so simple the entire family can get involved!
Dark Chocolate Orange Madeleines
(Makes 25-30 Madeleines)
3 organic eggs
½ cup maple syrup (or liquid sweetener of choice)
½ cup coconut oil, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
zest 2 oranges
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 ½ cups almond flour
3 tablespoons coconut flour
3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
1 tsp baking soda
150 grams or 1 cup of organic dark chocolate
optional: crushed nuts for dipping
1) Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease a madeleine pan with coconut oil.
2) In a food processor, mix eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, coconut milk, orange zest and orange juice until combined.
3) Add almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot and baking soda and mix again until smooth.
4) Add a spoonful of cake mixture into each well of the madeleine pan. Smooth over to fit the mold. Repeat.
5) Bake for 12 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and set aside. Repeat with the remaining batter until you have used it all.
6) Melt dark chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan with boiling water. If you are using crushed nuts for decoration, place them in a shallow bowl.
7) Take each madeleine and dip the end of the cake into the dark chocolate, and then into the crushed nuts.
Store your Madeleine cakes in the fridge and enjoy whenever you fancy a yummy treat!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Almond and Orange Biscotti (Paleo)
Paleo Friendly Almond and Orange Biscotti Coated in a Dark Chocolate Glaze. The Perfect Holiday Treat!
Mexican Wedding Cookies (Paleo)
Grain-free, Paleo Friendly Mexican Wedding Cookies/ Snowballs/ Russian Tea Cakes. Whatever you call them, they're delicious!