Homemade, All-Natural Sunscreen Recipe
All-natural sunscreen you can make at home! Free from harsh chemicals, and sensitive skin-friendly.
Do you know what’s in your sunscreen?
I certainly didn’t until a few years ago when I decided to do a little research.
In fact I was the girl that encouraged my friends to be “extra careful” and would lather myself in so much sunscreen that my skin would have a thick layer of that rather unattractive white goop all over it.
New research by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) has some pretty shocking facts that were enough to put me off many brands of sunscreen forever…
- Of over 1,400 sunscreens they tested, only 5% matched their safety standards and over 40% were listed as potentially contributing to skin cancer.
- Chemicals commonly used in sunscreen such as oxybenzone were found to be endocrine disruptors, estrogenic and may possibly interfere with the thyroid. Oxybenzone has also been linked to a reduced sperm count in men.
- Common ingredient methylisothiazolinone was recently named as the “allergen of the year” by the American Contact Dermatitis Society.
So In decided I was going to be extremely picky about which sunscreen I bought, or even better- make my own.
¾ cup organic coconut oil
Lavender essential oil
¼ cup beeswax pellets
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons zinc oxide (sits on top of your skin and blocks the sun that way)
1) Put some water in a large pot and place on the stove over a medium heat. Place a glass bowl inside the pot.
2) Add coconut oil, beeswax pellets, and olive oil to the pot and stir.
3) Remove from heat and when slightly cooled, add lavender essential oil and zinc oxide. Stir again.
4) Put mixture into a mason jar or container. Shelf life is 6 months.
And if making sunscreen from scratch isn’t your thing, or you just don’t have time, these are a few of my favorite non-toxic, EWG approved sunscreens that actually work…
ATTITUDE 100% Mineral Sunscreen
Be Natural Organics Sunscreen
Raw Element’s Sunscreen
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Raspberry Chocolate Brownies (Paleo)
Truly delicious paleo raspberry chocolate fudge brownies. Easy to make with only the best ingredients. These make a wonderful Valentine's Day dessert!
Practical Tips for Picky Eaters
Maybe you struggle with certain foods, or maybe you have a picky eater in your house. Try some of these practical tips to finding food freedom!