Oil Pulling with Essential Oils, Recipe Included!
After ditching my chemical mouthwash I was terrified that my teeth would become less white and cavity filled. All I can say is Thank God for oil pulling.
For those that don’t know what oil pulling is, to put it simply it’s the process of swishing an oil, or blend of oils, in your mouth for 20 minutes to clean and detoxify teeth and gums.
It’s an ancient Ayurvedic practice that’s finally gaining popularity in the U.S, with more people trying it at home for oral benefits, including whitening and plaque removal.
Many people oil pull with plain coconut oil, or an oil with similar properties. I prefer to add essential oils to the mix due to all the fabulous benefits they offer, and the taste they bring, making 20 minutes not only bearable but EASY.
My go-to ingredients when it comes to oil pulling:
- Coconut Oil is naturally antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral making it very helpful in fighting listeria causing bacteria, as well as Candida and other fungal infections. The oil’s great antiviral properties make it perfect to include in your daily routine to prevent, or help recover from a sickness.
Essential oils have some of the most powerful antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties ever. They have countless benefits for oral health and also help with taste when oil pulling, because sometimes shoving an entire tablespoon of straight coconut oil in your mouth at 7am slightly makes you want to vomit.
- Clove oil is commonly used in dentistry and is well known for it’s numbing properties. It has great antimicrobial properties for fighting against E-Coli and others. It can also be applied directly to the gums, and is great for teething children.
- Studies on peppermint oil have found that it is extremely effective at killing bacteria. Particularly anaerobic bacteria, which thrives in low oxygen environments like your mouth and can lead to all sorts of complications, including gum disease. It’s also known for it’s cooling and numbing properties. PLUS it satisfies the whole minty fresh breath thing.
- Cardamom oil is a great anti-inflammatory oil that is also known for its aid in preventing halitosis and oral health properties. Cineole, the major compound in cardamom oil, is an antiseptic that kills the bacteria that causes bad breath and other infections.
- Melaleuca oil (tea-tree) is known for it’s antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Studies have shown it’s great for oral health and beneficial in treating gingivitis and gum disease. An in vitro study evaluated the effectiveness of tea tree oil in killing the bacterium that contributes to halitosis and reported well in killing the bacterium off.
When and how do you oil pull?
Typically the best time to detox is in the morning and oil pulling is no exception with this. That being said feel free to oil pull at any time of the day, in between meals works too.
When it’s time...
- Shake your homemade oil pulling bottle and take a tablespoon of the oil blend in your mouth.
- Swish around for approximately 20 minutes. I find that doing this in the shower, while doing hair/makeup, cooking breakfast, etc. makes time go faster! Also a great excuse not to have to talk to anyone for a little while...
- SPIT. Do not swallow the oil, it’s full of yucky mouth toxins.
- Rinse your mouth with some water & you’re good to go!
You can absolutely use this blend as a quick breath freshener too, just swish a little around your mouth for a minute and go on with your day!
My Oil Pulling Recipe:
½ cup coconut oil
¼ cup sesame oil
½ teaspoon organic stevia
5 or more drops of the following essential oils:
Melaleuca (Tea Tree)
- Heat your carrier oils until liquid.
- Add stevia and essential oils.
- Store in a glass bottle at room temperature.
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Rich and delicious chocolate, caramel and buttered shortbread squares. These Millionaire's Shortbread are Paleo, Vegan and can be Keto friendly!
Summer Fish Taco Bowls
These Paleo Fish Taco Bowls topped with sweet and tangy mango avo salsa and spicy mayo are the BEST light, flavorful and filling bowls ever.