Paleo & Whole30 Orange Chicken
Paleo & Whole30 Friendly Orange Chicken. Your own healthy and easy to make Chinese take-away!
Happy Monday everyone. I hope you had a fabulous weekend. It was a quiet one here- spent with an adorable Aussiedoodle we are looking after, at church with my kiddos I teach, and hiding from the torrential rain outside ft. plenty of hot chocolate and romantic comedies.
When I was living in the U.K., Chinese food used to be one of my favorite family dinner outings. Where we lived, just outside the center of London, we had many incredible high-quality restaurants serving the most delicious dishes free from MSG and other scary ingredients you find here. Since crossing the pond and after one terrible experience at an Asian restaurant in a strip mall, I've realized that if I want good Chinese food it's a safer bet to make it myself.
This orange chicken recipe hits the spot every time. It took me a little while to perfect this one but I can confidently say that the concoction of ingredients you find below make a deliciously sweet and savory dish that the entire family will enjoy.
HERE ARE SOME DEETS ON THIS ORANGE CHICKEN DISH:
- Pair with cauliflower rice, or regular soaked organic rice if you do grains for an authentic re-creation.
- Like your sauce a little thicker? Feel free to add arrowroot to the orange sauce as it's simmering at the end. I would start off with just one tablespoon, stirring slowly and adding frugally. The funny thing about arrowroot is that it takes a while to thicken and if you add too much too quickly, you'll end up with a lumpy, gloopy bowl of yuck.
- As in the majority of my recipes, I leave the spice and seasoning amount up to you. I find when it comes to additional flavors like that it really is entirely up to taste (and what you have in the house).
- Organic meat, always.
- On the subject of meat, you can use chicken breast here instead of thighs. I generally prefer thighs for both taste and my wallet, but either work.
Enjoy friends! I would love to hear how you get on with this Asian-inspired orange chicken.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE BELLA GRACE WELLNESS NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE FRESH RECIPES AND TOXIN-FREE LIVING TIPS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #BELLAGRACEWELLNESS for a chance to be featured!
Paleo Orange Chicken
2 lbs. organic chicken thighs (skinless and boneless)
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
2 tablespoons cooking oil of choice
1/3 cup coconut aminos
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 orange, zest and juice
1 tablespoon grated ginger (fresh always best)
1 teaspoon fresh garlic
1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
2 tablespoons raw honey (leave this out if you're doing Whole30)
red pepper flakes to taste
salt and pepper
optional: toasted sesame seeds to decorate
1) In a medium size bowl, mix arrowroot powder and seasoning of choice (salt and pepper) together.
2) Cut chicken thighs into small pieces and coat them thoroughly in the arrowroot and seasoning mix.
3) In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt cooking oil and when the pan is hot, add chicken pieces covered in arrowroot.
4) Cook for 5-7 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
5) In a small bowl, mix coconut aminos, sesame oil, fish sauce, orange juice and zest, ginger, garlic, tomato paste, raw honey and red pepper flakes. Whisk together.
6) Pour your orange sauce over the chicken in the skillet, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. You can add some additional arrowroot starch here (1-2 tablespoons) and whisk it into the sauce if you prefer a thicker sauce.
7) Remove from the skillet, serve over warm cauliflower rice (paleo) or regular soaked organic rice (not grain free). Sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Thai Yellow Curry (Paleo, Keto)
A deliciously simple Thai yellow curry packed with organic chicken, mixed vegetables and a fragrant homemade sauce. Paleo, Keto + RESTART friendly.
Cookies and Cream Chocolate Cake (Paleo)
Absolutely delicious grain-free cookies and cream chocolate cake perfect for any occasion! Includes homemade keto Oreo's recipe.