Paleo Apple Strudel
Organic Apple Strudel, free from grains, refined sugar and junk. Paleo friendly!
I have a dozen organic fresh apples sitting on my countertop. Crunchy, straight from an orchard, and without all the icky pesticides, herbicides and toxic wax coating them. I'm not really a fan of just munching down an apple as snack, but I'm a big fan of baked apple desserts. There's something about warm apples, lightly spiced with cinnamon and paired with a light, flaky crust that's just HEAVENLY in my opinion. When thinking about what to make, an apple strudel popped into mind. I haven't had one of these in forever, maybe 10 years, but it's so scrummy it's hard to forget.
WHAT IS APPLE STRUDEL?
A traditional Apple Strudel is made with a simple dough that bakes up into a flaky, buttery crust and a juicy, spiced apple filling studded with rum-soaked raisins and finely chopped almonds. An impressive dessert that’s perfect for special occasions and the holiday season!
WHAT'S IN THIS ONE?
The crust is made from a base of cassava flour, grass-fed or raw butter, egg, and coconut palm sugar. The apple middle is made from organic apples, coconut oil, spices, and organic unsweetened apple sauce. I also topped this yummy dessert with an egg white wash and flaked almonds. It's surprisingly easy to put together and I urge you to try it for yourself.
Paleo Apple Strudel
(Makes one large strudel)
1/2 cup cold grass-fed butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup cassava flour
pinch of salt
1 organic egg
3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
2 tablespoons coconut oil or grass-fed butter
3 organic apples, cut into little cubes
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup organic applesauce (unsweetened)
1 organic egg white
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1) Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
2) In a large bowl, add the cassava flour and salt and mix. Cut the butter into very small cubes and use your hands to mix until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
3) Stir in the egg and coconut sugar and mix until a dough forms. Set aside.
4) To make your apple sauce, heat all filling ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat.
5) Meanwhile, roll out your dough into a large 1/4 inch rectangle.
6) Spoon the apple mixture down the middle of the rectangle and bring the sides over the top. Smooth out so that no apple is showing.
7) Beat your egg white and brush it over the top of the strudel. Sprinkle coconut sugar and sliced almonds on top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
AIP Plantain Bread
Easy and delicious AIP bread made with plantains. Nut free, egg free, grain free.
AIP Lemon Rosemary Shortbread Cookies
Crumbly and buttery shortbread cookies with a hint of lemon and fresh rosemary. AIP, Paleo, Keto, Vegan.