Paleo Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Grain-free, paleo and vegan friendly banana cake with a dairy-free cream "cheese" frosting.
Alright guys, how about a deliciously moist, paleo and vegan friendly, creamy frosting covered, banana cake this week?
This week, one of my nutrition clients expressed her intense desire for cake. I immediately sent her to my website where I have recipes upon recipes of chocolate cakes, brownies, cupcakes, you name it. The issue? She doesn't like chocolate. The other issue? She is both vegan and paleo. The solution? It gave me the perfect excuse to bake another cake creation, and this time it was this grain-free, plant based banana cake covered in the most delicious frosting.
It was a HIT!
P.S. If you are wondering why I give my clients cake recipes when they are working on improving their health, here's your answer...
- Firstly, my "dessert" recipes are made with wholesome nourishing ingredients that SERVE the body and provide purpose.
- Secondly, many of my clients are making the transition away from a standard American diet and I believe it's crucial to meet people where they are at. A sweet treat made with real, whole food ingredients is a great place to start when switching from highly-processed baked goods full of refined sugars, flours, and additives.
- Bonus: eating healthy should be enjoyable! I'm a big believer that if we are miserable and restrictive, we will end up stuck in a never ending dieting cycle that consumes us, takes focus of things of more importance, and creates negativity. If you fancy a slice of cake, have a slice of cake!
Now, back to the point of this blog post, the recipe. Let me quickly take you through the basics of this fabulously nourishing dessert.
The primary ingredient of the sponge is almond flour, used in nearly every one of my recipes. It acts as a great binding agent, adds fluffiness, and, along with the bananas, ensures that this banana cake stays moist for days.
For my Vegan friends, don't be put off by the four eggs that this recipe calls for. I have attempted this cake with flax "egg" and it has turned out beautifully. Let me know if you substitute with any other alternatives, I would love to hear what works well here!
The added cinnamon gives a little warmth that pairs perfectly with the creamy banana flavor. Feel free to throw in some additional spices such as nutmeg or even cardamom if you're feeling fancy. Other excellent add-ins include unsweetened shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, or pistachio nuts.
What's a banana cake without cream cheese frosting?! My foolproof dairy and refined sugar-free cream "cheese" frosting is so simple to make, yet has enough flavor to transform any sponge into a masterpiece. Simply blend cashews, coconut cream, coconut oil, lemon juice and sweetener of your choice (I used raw honey here because #Allergies) and spread.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE BELLA GRACE WELLNESS NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE FRESH RECIPES AND TOXIN-FREE LIVING TIPS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
Paleo Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Cake
4 ripe bananas, mashed
4 large eggs, room temperature (sub flax eggs for vegan)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
2 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup
1 and 3/4 cups almond flour
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
For the Frosting
1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
2/3 cup coconut cream
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons coconut oil, solid
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4-6 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease two 6-inch pans with coconut oil.
2) In a medium-sized bowl, beat together bananas, eggs, coconut oil, and honey until well-combined.
3) Add almond flour, flaxseeds, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla, and beat until well incorporated.
4) Divide batter between pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside and let cool.
5) Make your cream cheese frosting by blending cashews in a food processor on high until smooth and creamy. Add remaining ingredients and blend again until combined.
6) Spread half of the frosting on one side of one layer of the cake, sandwich the other layer on top. Cover the entire cake with cream cheese frosting and decorate with some walnuts, almonds, or sliced banana. Enjoy!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Paleo Strawberry Lemonade Cake
A delicious grain-free, paleo approved lemon sponge cake with sugar-free, dairy-free frosting and fresh strawberries.
Organic Broccoli Crisps (Paleo, Vegan, Keto)
A healthy, crunchy, and delicious snack for the entire family. These organic broccoli crisps are paleo, vegan and keto friendly!