Paleo Chocolate Mini Rolls
Paleo + Keto Friendly Chocolate Mini Rolls. A Great British Bake Off Classic with a Healthy Twist!
Has anyone else been watching the Great British Bake Off obsessively since it came out on Netflix last week? I'm almost embarrassed to admit that Max and I have already finished the latest season, but then again, being a baker myself it's hardly surprising.
One thing I love to do when watching the show is to recreate my own versions of the goodies they bake. Everything from fresh loaves, to sugar work, to these chocolate mini rolls. I was particularly keen to make these guys, not just because they are one of my favorite childhood treats, but because it was the technical challenge of cake week and I'm always up for a challenge.
Don't be put off by that. This recipe, despite it's many steps, is not overly challenging and is really just a big swiss roll cut into little minis. If you've ever made my Yule Log recipe, or a Swiss Roll of some sort, you will find this an absolute breeze. If you haven't, don't worry. Just focus on the ingredients and worry about a neat roll another time, it will taste delicious regardless of what it looks like!
What are you waiting for? Get baking this light chocolate sponge, swirled with the fluffiest, creamiest coconut frosting, all topped with melty, thick chocolate now!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE BELLA GRACE WELLNESS NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE FRESH RECIPES AND TOXIN-FREE LIVING TIPS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #BELLAGRACEWELLNESS for a chance to be featured!
Paleo Chocolate Mini Rolls
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup melted butter, ghee, or coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons boiling water
6 large organic eggs - separated
1 cup organic coconut palm sugar, or granulated sweetener of choice
Coconut Cream Frosting Filling :
1 14oz can refrigerated coconut milk (should be hard)
4 tablespoons raw honey, coconut palm sugar or sweetener of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
Chocolate Coating :
400g organic dark chocolate, finely chopped
1) Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Line two swiss roll tins with parchment paper (unbleached).
2) In a small bowl, sieve the cocoa powder and add the melted butter, vanilla extract and boiling water. Mix together well and set aside.
3) In a large bowl, weigh 3/4 cup of the granulated sweetener and add the egg yolks. Whisk together until pale, thick and fluffy.
4) Add the chocolate mixture and whisk again to combine completely.
5) In a separate, very clean bowl (and using a clean beater), whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Once stiff, add the remaining sweetener and whisk until you have a smooth texture.
6) Beat one third of the egg-white mixture into the chocolate mix to loosen then gently fold in the rest of the whisked egg-whites, taking care to maintain as much air as possible in the mix.
7) Divide the mixture between the two tins and smooth over. Bake for approximately 15 minutes until the top springs back to the touch.
8) Remove from the oven and let cakes cool in their tins.
9) Make your coconut cream filling by beating cooled coconut milk in a large bowl for 2 minutes. Add sweetener and beat for an additional 2 minutes until fluffy.
10) One at a time, turn the cakes onto 2 large clean sheets of baking paper and very carefully peel off the baking paper from the base of the sponges. Carefully score a line along each short end and turn the sponge so that the short end is facing you.
11) Spread coconut whipped cream completely over the top of each sponge.
12) Starting from the front short edge, carefully roll up the sponge as tightly as you can, stopping half way along the sponge in the middle. Repeat the rolling process from the other short end until the two rolls meet in the middle and then cut down the centre of the sponge between the two rolls, to separate them.
13) Repeat the process with the other sponge, so that you have 4 long rolls, then trim the ends. Cut the rolls into mini rolls (you should be able to get 12+, depending on how big you like them) and put in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
14) Melt dark chocolate in a medium glass bowl set over a pan of lightly simmering water. Spread or pour the chocolate over each mini roll to coat. Put back in the fridge to set. If you fancy, you can decorate the top of your mini rolls with some coconut cream frosting, cocoa butter, or anything else you fancy. Enjoy!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Paleo Strawberry Lemonade Cake
A delicious grain-free, paleo approved lemon sponge cake with sugar-free, dairy-free frosting and fresh strawberries.
Organic Broccoli Crisps (Paleo, Vegan, Keto)
A healthy, crunchy, and delicious snack for the entire family. These organic broccoli crisps are paleo, vegan and keto friendly!