Paleo Cornish Pasties
Grain-free, paleo friendly Cornish pasties. These hand-held meat pies make for an excellent lunch or dinner!
How is everyone on this chilly Wednesday morning?
Max and I just returned from the most glorious trip to Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia. It's impossible not to see God's incredible artistry when you travel there. Hours of driving through snow covered winding roads gave us time to reflect on how great He truly is. Our Lord created every tiny detail- from the smallest branch, to the glorious Blue Ridge Mountains. It's safe to say that Max and I fell in love with this place over the weekend.
But here we are back to reality and today I'm bringing to you another British classic- the Cornish pasty. I would be lying if I said that this tasted exactly like the real thing. Believe it or not, it's pretty tricky to recreate a flaky buttermilk pie crust from grain-free ingredients. However, I will tell you that this imitation tastes absolutely delicious. It's a thicker, denser crust flavored with spices, herbs, and my all-time favorite- TURMERIC! Gotta love that stuff. The filling of this pasty is rather traditional with a mixture of ground beef, onions, veggies, and seasoning.
HERE ARE THE DETAILS ON THESE LITTLE HAND-HELD PIES:
- Don't be intimidated! There’s always a degree of difficulty when it comes to making stuffed pastries from scratch, especially when using nut flours, but this recipe does as much to eliminate that as possible and I believe in you!
- These freeze and store amazingly well. Make a big batch, keep them in the freezer, and reheat in the oven for a quick and simple lunch or dinner!
- Are you a vegetarian? Prefer chicken to beef? Although it won't be traditional by any means, feel free to add a variety of fillings in these little handheld pies. I happen to think that a root vegetable mix with Indian inspired flavors would taste amazing here. Ooh and a Moroccan chicken stuffing would also be great. Let me know what you come up with!
Paleo Cornish Pasties
makes 6-8 pasties
1 tablespoon cooking oil of choice
¼ cup diced onion
¼ cup carrot, finely diced
¼ cup celery, finely diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
¼ teaspoon thyme
¼ lb. organic, pasture-raised ground beef
¾ cup cassava flour
¼ cup arrowroot flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons turmeric
pinch of salt and pepper
5 tablespoon coconut oil or grass-fed butter
5 tablespoons filtered water
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large skillet, heat cooking oil on a medium heat.
2) Add onion, carrot, and celery and saute for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute more.
3) Add beef and heat until cooked through. Set aside.
4) In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, turmeric, and seasoning. Add the grass-fed butter or coconut oil and cut into the flour mixture until crumbly using a fork. You can also give it a quick blitz in a food processor to speed things up! Add water and continue to knead to form the dough. I use my hands for this part.
5) Divide the dough into 2 balls and roll each ball out to ⅛ inch thick.
6) Using a large round pastry cutter, cut pastry into circles. Transfer one half of the dough circles onto the baking sheet and place 1-2 tablespoons of filling into the middle of each circle.
7) Place the remaining dough circles on top of the meat filling and seal the edges together. Use a fork to jab small holes in the top of the pies. Bake for 20 minutes.
Serve warm and enjoy! Store in the fridge or freezer.
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Thai Yellow Curry (Paleo, Keto)
A deliciously simple Thai yellow curry packed with organic chicken, mixed vegetables and a fragrant homemade sauce. Paleo, Keto + RESTART friendly.
Cookies and Cream Chocolate Cake (Paleo)
Absolutely delicious grain-free cookies and cream chocolate cake perfect for any occasion! Includes homemade keto Oreo's recipe.