Rosemary Lemon Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
The classic Sunday roast, paleo style. A plump organic chicken, deliciously roasted potatoes, a mountain of fresh veggies & a drizzle of gravy.
Ahh, the classic Sunday roast. A beautiful plump chicken, delicious roast potatoes, a mountain of fresh veggies and a drizzle of gravy to top it off. Nothing beats it.
There are so many roast dinner combinations to try, but here is one of my favorites- primarily because it's so simple. All you really need is a high-quality chicken, various herbs and spices and some chunky, organic sweet potatoes. You can swap out your starch for any potato you like, this works well with purple sweet potatoes, Japanese yams and your standard white Yukon.
The key to this recipe is quality. You HAVE to make sure you have a large, plump chicken from a responsible source. If you haven't found your local farmer yet, I highly recommend you go hunting for one. If that's not possible, then make sure you are reading your labels carefully. Just organic isn't always enough, you ideally need to look for pasture-raised, antibiotic-free and free-range as well. Labels can be confusing, so again, if you can find and build a relationship with your local farmer who you know is raising his flock responsibly, that's your best bet.
Pair this dish with your favorite vegetables. This past Sunday, Max and I enjoyed our roast with sautéed asparagus, bell peppers and garlic cloves, but typically we would steam some broccoli, cauliflower, red cabbage, or roast some sprouts to go alongside our meat and potatoes. Smother in a homemade, rich gravy for a more authentic taste of this roast meal.
Rosemary Lemon Roast Chicken
1 whole, organic chicken (approx. 4lbs)
6 tablespoons EVOO (olive oil)
1 lemon, cut into quarters
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon salt (the good stuff)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons fresh thyme
2 tablespoons fennel seeds
1 1/2-2 lbs organic sweet potatoes, quartered
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) In a small bowl, mix salt, pepper and ground fennel seeds with 3 tablespoons olive oil.
3) Rub mixture all over the chicken.
4) Stuff chicken with lemon quarters, garlic cloves, 2 sprigs of rosemary and 2 tablespoons thyme.
5) Place chopped potatoes on a baking sheet and generously coat with the remaining olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and anything else you may fancy.
6) Place chicken in the center of the baking sheet and top with remaining herbs and seasonings.
6) Roast for approx. 1 1/2 hours, until skin is brown, meat is tender and potatoes have a nice color.
7) Carve and enjoy with your favorite vegetables, and perhaps some gravy!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
AIP Plantain Bread
Easy and delicious AIP bread made with plantains. Nut free, egg free, grain free.
AIP Lemon Rosemary Shortbread Cookies
Crumbly and buttery shortbread cookies with a hint of lemon and fresh rosemary. AIP, Paleo, Keto, Vegan.