Spanish Shrimp Paella
Grain-Free, Paleo & Whole30 Friendly, Authentic Paella. Packed with Wild-Caught Shrimp, Organic Chicken Thighs, Vegetables and Spices.
Today I’m sharing my Spanish Paella recipe, the foundations of which are true to the traditional Spanish Paella, but with my adaptation being grain-free. If you aren't familiar with Paella, it's an authentic spanish dish that boasts some of Spain's finest ingredients, from calasparra rice to fresh seafood to chorizo. There are many, many fabulous Paella recipes but I struggle to find a truly authentic paleo version-- so I made one myself!
The two key things that make this similar to the traditional recipe are:
a) the use of saffron threads which gives the rice a yellowy tone and a subtle flavor
b) the use of fresh chopped tomato, not tons of canned tomato (fresh is best always).
Use my recipe as a base and add to it whatever you want, whether that be alternate protein sources, spices, or even rice! We simply serve ours in bowls with a salad on the side for some extra greens.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE BELLA GRACE WELLNESS NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE FRESH RECIPES AND TOXIN-FREE LIVING TIPS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #BELLAGRACEWELLNESS for a chance to be featured!
Spanish Shrimp Paella
4 organic chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
2 tablespoons cooking oil of choice
3 bacon rashers, nitrate-free, chopped finely
1 cup wild-caught shrimp
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 organic red pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
pinch of salt and pepper
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup organic white wine
1/2 cup bone broth
3 cups frozen cauliflower rice (bag or make your own)
1/4 cup frozen peas
2 tbsp chopped parsley
4 lemon wedges
1) Heat cooking oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Place the chicken thighs in the frying pan and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Set aside and when cool, shred.
2) Add in the chopped bacon cook until crisp. Set chicken and bacon pieces aside.
3) Add more cooking oil if necessary and place the shrimp in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Once heated thoroughly, place in the bowl with the other cooked meats.
4) Lower the heat to low/medium and add in the diced onion, red peppers, garlic and other seasonings. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the onions and peppers begin to soften.
5) Add in the white wine, chicken stock and tomatoes. Let simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
6) Turn the heat back up to high and place the frozen cauliflower rice, peas, chicken and bacon in the pan with the sauce, stir and then cover to allow the cauliflower to cook for approximately 5 minutes until the "rice" becomes tender.
7) Before serving, arrange shrimp on top of the paella rice mixture and sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Raspberry Chocolate Brownies (Paleo)
Truly delicious paleo raspberry chocolate fudge brownies. Easy to make with only the best ingredients. These make a wonderful Valentine's Day dessert!
Practical Tips for Picky Eaters
Maybe you struggle with certain foods, or maybe you have a picky eater in your house. Try some of these practical tips to finding food freedom!