Sweet & Sour Chicken Quesadillas
Sweet & Sour Chicken Quesadillas perfect for quick lunches, dinners & party snacks. This easy quesadilla recipe is perfect for the health conscious family!
Crisp grain-free tortillas filled with organic chicken bites and crunchy bell peppers in a sweet and tangy apple based sauce— these are the best quesadillas!
Rather than the standard quesadilla you'll find at your local Mexican restaurant or food truck, this recipe calls for a few exciting yet unexpected additional ingredients. If you are wondering what on earth apples are doing inside a quesadilla then read on. The applesauce and cider vinegar provide a deep rich sweetness with a little tang that creates a perfect base for this combination flavor sauce. Don't bash it before you try it.
Begin by cooking the chopped onions and bell peppers in a cast-iron skillet. I know it may be super tempting to use a non-stick, especially when heating the tortillas, but please try and avoid them if possible. They are ladened with chemicals and if you are spending money on high-quality, organic foods, you are totally defeating the point by coating them in that junk.
Add your chicken bites and saute until cooked thoroughly. Then add all your sauce ingredients (the best bit) and saute a little longer before setting aside.
Now for the fun part! To heat your tortillas and turn these bad boys into quesadillas, add a smidgen of grass-fed butter or cooking oil to the skillet and pop your tortilla on there. Pack it full with all the yummy ingredients and top with another tortilla. Wait patiently... and enjoy! We pair these with a little Primal Kitchen's Chipotle Mayo and a side salad. So easy for lunch or for dinner, delicious and nourishing!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE BELLA GRACE WELLNESS NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE FRESH RECIPES AND TOXIN-FREE LIVING TIPS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #BELLAGRACEWELLNESS for a chance to be featured!
Sweet & Sour Chicken Quesadillas
(Makes four large quesadillas)
1 1/4 pound organic chicken tenders
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper (orange or red), finely chopped
2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or cooking oil of choice
1/2 cup organic applesauce or puree
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
8 Siete Tortillas (or organic gluten-free brand of choice)
3 cups raw, grass-fed cheese, shredded (or dairy-free brand of choice, please check for and avoid soy and other additives)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1) In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter, or cooking oil of choice over a medium-high heat.
2) Add chopped onion and bell pepper and saute until onion is translucent (about 3 minutes). Set aside.
3) Add a tablespoon of cooking oil to the skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook thoroughly (3-4 minutes).
4) Add applesauce, apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper and any additional seasonings to the chicken. Let simmer for 2 minutes. Set chicken and sauce aside.
5) Quickly clean off the bottom of the skillet and add 1/2 teaspoon of grass-fed butter or coconut oil to the skillet to prevent sticking. Add the first tortilla to the bottom of the skillet, sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese, and then add 1/4 of the onion and pepper mixture, 1/4 of the chicken and sauce mixture and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro. Place an additional tortilla on top of the fillings.
6) Wait to flip the quesadilla until the bottom tortilla is golden brown, and the cheese has started to melt to hold everything together. Place a flat spatula under the bottom tortilla, and another on the top tortilla. Then quickly flip the quesadilla. Brown the bottom tortilla, then move to a warming drawer or warm oven to keep crisp. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Once all 4 quesadillas of cooked, cut them into wedges and serve warm!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Almond and Orange Biscotti (Paleo)
Paleo Friendly Almond and Orange Biscotti Coated in a Dark Chocolate Glaze. The Perfect Holiday Treat!
Mexican Wedding Cookies (Paleo)
Grain-free, Paleo Friendly Mexican Wedding Cookies/ Snowballs/ Russian Tea Cakes. Whatever you call them, they're delicious!