The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has a TON of useful health applications. Give it the appreciation it truly deserves!
While coconut oil has dragged itself out of the muck of vast misrepresentation over the past few years, it still rarely gets the appreciation it truly deserves. Not just a "good"saturated fat, coconut oil is an exceptional healing agent as well, with loads of useful health applications.
Some benefits of "good" saturated fat include:
Ironic, isn't it? A saturated fat which can accelerate the loss of midsection fat (the most dangerous kind). Well, there are now two solid, human studies showing just two tablespoons a day (30 ml), in both men and women, is capable of reducing belly fat within 1-3 months.
A now famous study, published in 2006 in the journal Neurobiology of Aging, showed that the administration of medium chain triglycerides (most plentifully found in coconut oil) in 20 subjects with Alzheimer's disease or mild cognitive impairment, resulted in significant increases in ketone bodies (within only 90minutes after treatment) associated with measurable cognitive improvement in those with less severe cognitive dysfunction.[i]
Clearing Head Lice:
When combined with anise spray, coconut oil was found to be superior to the insecticide permethrin (.43%).[ii]
Coconut has been used for wound healing since time immemorial. Three of the identified mechanisms behind these healing effects are its ability to accelerate re-epithelialization, improve antioxidant enzyme activity, and stimulate higher collagen cross-linking within the tissue being repaired.[iii] Coconut oil has even been shown to work synergistically with traditional treatments, such as silver sulphadizine, to speed burn wound recovery.[iv]
Coconut oil has been demonstrated to have anti-inflammatory, analgesic and fever-reducing properties.[v]
Interestingly, coconut milk (which includes coconut oil components), has been shown to be as effective as the conventional drug sucralfate as an NSAID-associated anti-ulcer agent.[vi]
In 2004, 52 isolates of Candida species were exposed to coconut oil. The most notorious form, Candida albicans, was found to have the highest susceptibility. Researchers remarked:"Coconut oil should be used in the treatment of fungal infections in view merging drug-resistant Candida species."[vii]
Coconut oil was found to reduce oxidative stress in the testes of rats, resulting in significantly higher levels of testosterone.[viii]
Reducing Swollen Prostate:
Coconut oil has been found to reduce testosterone-induced benign prostate growth in rats.[ix]
Improving Blood Lipids:
Coconut oil consistently improves the LDL:HDL ratio in the blood of those who consume it. Given this effect, coconut oil can no longer be dismissed for being 'that saturated fat which clogs the arteries.'
Fat-Soluble Nutrient Absorption:
Coconut oil was recently found to be superior to safflower oil in enhancing tomato carotenoid absorption.[x]
Coconut oil has been shown to reduce oxidative stress within the bone, which may prevent structural damage in osteoporotic bone.[xi] [Note: Osteoporosis is a Myth, as presently defined by the T-Score]
Coconut oil has been shown to block out UV rays by 30%. Keep in mind that this is good, insofar as UVA rays are damaging to the skin, whereas UVB rays are highly beneficial (when exposure is moderate).
Of course, when speaking about coconut oil, we are only looking at one part of the amazing coconut palm. Each component, including coconut hull fiber, coconut protein and coconut water has experimentally confirmed therapeutic applications.
· [i] Mark A Reger, Samuel T Henderson, Cathy Hale,Brenna Cholerton, Laura D Baker, G S Watson, Karen Hyde, Darla Chapman, SuzanneCraft . Effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on cognition in memory-impaired adults. Neurobiol Aging.2004 Mar;25(3):311-4.PMID: 15123336
· [ii] Ian F Burgess, Elizabeth R Brunton, Nazma ABurgess . Clinical trial showing superiorityof a coconut and anise spray over permethrin 0.43% lotion for head louse infestation,ISRCTN96469780. Eur J Pediatr. 2010 Jan ;169(1):55-62. Epub 2009 Apr 3.PMID: 19343362
· [iii] K G Nevin, T Rajamohan . Effect of topicalapplication of virgin coconutoil on skin components and antioxidant statusduring dermal wound healing in young rats. Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2010;23(6):290-7. Epub 2010 Jun 3. PMID: 20523108
· [iv] Pallavi Srivastava, S Durgaprasad. Burn woundhealing property of Cocos nucifera:An appraisal. Indian J Pharmacol. 2008 Aug;40(4):144-6. PMID: 20040946
· [v] S Intahphuak, P Khonsung, A Panthong. Anti-inflammatory,analgesic, and antipyretic activities of virgin coconut oil. Pharm Biol. 2010 Feb;48(2):151-7. PMID: 20645831
· [vi] R O Nneli, O A Woyike. Antiulcerogeniceffects of coconut (Cocos nucifera)extract in rats. Phytother Res. 2008 Jul;22(7):970-2. PMID: 18521965
· [vii] D O Ogbolu, A A Oni, O A Daini, A P Oloko. Invitro antimicrobialproperties of coconut oilon Candida species in Ibadan, Nigeria. J Med Food. 2007 Jun;10(2):384-7.PMID: 17651080
· [viii] Graciela E Hurtado de Catalfo, María J T deAlaniz, Carlos A Marra. Dietarylipids modify redox homeostasis and steroidogenic status in rat testis. Phytother Res. 2010 Feb;24(2):163-8. PMID:18549927
· [ix] María de Lourdes Arruzazabala, Vivian Molina, RosaMás, Daisy Carbajal, David Marrero, Víctor González, Eduardo Rodríguez. Effectsof coconutoil on testosterone-induced prostatic hyperplasia in Sprague-Dawley rats. J Pharm Pharmacol.2007 Jul;59(7):995-9. PMID: 17637195
· [x] Lauren E Conlon, Ryan D King, Nancy E Moran, JohnW Erdman. CoconutOil Enhances Tomato Carotenoid Tissue Accumulation Compared to Safflower Oil in the Mongolian Gerbil(Meriones unguiculatus). J Agric Food Chem. 2012 Aug 7. Epub 2012 Aug 7.PMID: 22866697
· [xi] Mouna Abdelrahman Abujazia, Norliza Muhammad,Ahmad Nazrun Shuid, Ima Nirwana Soelaiman. The Effects of VirginCoconut Oil on Bone Oxidative Status inOvariectomised Rat. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:525079. Epub 2012 Aug 15. PMID: 22927879
Beef Bulgogi Bowls
Makes 2 Large Bowls
1 lb. grass-fed rib eye or sirloin steak
2 tablespoons cooking oil of choice
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
2 tablespoons freshly minced garlic
1 tablespoon raw honey or sweetener of choice
2 stems of green onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
4 cups dark leafy greens
2 cups roasted broccoli
3 large carrots, roasted
3 cups cauliflower rice
+ hot sauce (to taste)
= spicy mayo!
1) To make the roasted vegetables, throw frozen broccoli and carrots onto a baking sheet, drizzle in cooking oil of choice, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven at 375F for 30 minutes or so. Remove and set aside.
2) Place the steaks in a large bowl with coconut aminos, minced garlic, raw honey, salt and pepper. Let marinate for 10-30 minutes.
3) In a large skillet, add cooking oil and saute the steaks (along with sauce) over medium high heat or until the steak is medium-well done.
4) Set the beef aside and slice into thin pieces.
5) Using the same pan, heat up your cauliflower rice in the skillet until piping hot.
5) To each bowl, add 2 cups of greens. Top greens with 1-2 carrots, 1 cup roasted broccoli, 1 1/2 cups cauliflower rice, 1/2 lb of steak and chopped green onion. Add a dollop of spicy mayo on the side, sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Rich and delicious chocolate, caramel and buttered shortbread squares. These Millionaire's Shortbread are Paleo, Vegan and can be Keto friendly!
Summer Fish Taco Bowls
These Paleo Fish Taco Bowls topped with sweet and tangy mango avo salsa and spicy mayo are the BEST light, flavorful and filling bowls ever.