Top Tips for a Peaceful Sleep
Insomnia can be a problem for everyone- adults, teens, and kids. Here are my top tips for the entire family to have a peaceful sleep.
Another sleepless night? I totally get it. Sleep troubles are so frustrating and there's nothing worse than laying in bed concentrating on trying to get to sleep with little luck. Thankfully, there are some great tips you can employ, from herbal tonics to cutting back on coffee, to get your mind to stop and eyes to close. Here are some of my favorite trusted tips. I hope they help.
1. Bath Time
A relaxing bath is a great start to the bedtime routine. If you are feeling stressed out or anxious, adding a couple of cups of Epsom salts may help you to chill out as Magnesium will help reduce restlessness, irritability, lack of concentration, sleep disorders and depression in the long term. You can also add some high-quality essential oils such as lavender or chamomile which promote feelings of peace and relaxation.
2. Calming Drinks
After dinner why not try out one of these natural drinks which can help you to relax:
- Cherry juice is high in natural melatonin and data suggests that tart cherry juice increases melatonin levels and enhances sleep quality and duration.
- Barley grass powder works well mixed into a green-based smoothie, is stated as an ideal function food to help improve sleep. Barley grass powder is also a great source of vitamin E, iron and zinc; so it’s a great one to incorporate into a daily diet.
- A night time herbal tea. There are several great organic tea blends out there that promote relaxation.
3. Turn Off Screen Time
Did you know that its advisable to turn all screens off 60-90 minutes before bedtime? This includes not just the TV, but your iPhones, computer, games, iPad and any other devices with screens. Study results show that they all promote wakefulness through both stimulating content as well as the light emitted from them which mimics daylight and tricks your brain into thinking it needs to stay awake. If you really feel the need to use a device close to bedtime, make sure that the "sleep mode" or blue light is enabled for a more peaceful sleep.
4. Ditch the Caffeine
You probably already know that caffeine is a stimulant. Avoid consuming caffeinated beverages or foods, particularly past midday. I have ditched the caffeine for good and feel better than ever. If you are looking for a good substitute, try Dandy Blend. It tastes just like coffee, but is made from organic herbs.
5. Intolerances & Sleep Disorders
If you suspect you or your child has a food intolerance this could also be affecting sleep patterns. Multiple studies have linked the relationship between dairy intolerance and chronic sleeplessness in children. For those with this intolerance, try cutting it out of your diet and monitoring the difference. I have seen striking differences in sleep quality since excluding these dairy products from my diet. (I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant as a toddler).
6. Create a Calming Environment
Trying to wind down and stop working, or trying to get your kids in bed, can be pretty stressful in itself! So try to reduce stress levels well before bedtime. Cortisol, known as the ‘stress hormone’ plays a key role in sleep. Your body won’t be able to slow down and go to sleep if cortisol levels are high. So (as much as is possible!) keep activities before bedtime calm and work free– like reading your favorite book, listening to your favorite calming music or time in prayer. This can really help avoid excess levels of cortisol in your system and help you wind down.
7. Tryptophan Rich Foods
One of the things often overlooked when people are trying to improve their overall health, have more energy, lose weight and sleep better is the importance of obtaining enough amino acids from different protein sources. Tryptophan in particular offers a natural remedy for getting better sleep and overcoming sleep apnea. Try incorporating some tryptophan rich foods into your diet and see if it makes a difference. Some of my favorites include cage-free eggs, spirulina, pasture raised poultry, sesame seeds, walnuts, and wild-caught fish.
8. Try a Herbal Tonic
Some herbs such as Licorice, Silk Tree, and Dan Shen have been linked to decreasing the time it takes to fall asleep. Tonics containing herbs can relax the mind, calm the body and sleep throughout the night. My favorite herbal tonic is this one from Bioray Kids line.
I hope these tips are beneficial to you and your family. Let me know how you get on and if you see any improvements in your sleep!
Beef Bulgogi Bowls
Makes 2 Large Bowls
1 lb. grass-fed rib eye or sirloin steak
2 tablespoons cooking oil of choice
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
2 tablespoons freshly minced garlic
1 tablespoon raw honey or sweetener of choice
2 stems of green onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
4 cups dark leafy greens
2 cups roasted broccoli
3 large carrots, roasted
3 cups cauliflower rice
+ hot sauce (to taste)
= spicy mayo!
1) To make the roasted vegetables, throw frozen broccoli and carrots onto a baking sheet, drizzle in cooking oil of choice, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven at 375F for 30 minutes or so. Remove and set aside.
2) Place the steaks in a large bowl with coconut aminos, minced garlic, raw honey, salt and pepper. Let marinate for 10-30 minutes.
3) In a large skillet, add cooking oil and saute the steaks (along with sauce) over medium high heat or until the steak is medium-well done.
4) Set the beef aside and slice into thin pieces.
5) Using the same pan, heat up your cauliflower rice in the skillet until piping hot.
5) To each bowl, add 2 cups of greens. Top greens with 1-2 carrots, 1 cup roasted broccoli, 1 1/2 cups cauliflower rice, 1/2 lb of steak and chopped green onion. Add a dollop of spicy mayo on the side, sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!
Isabella Grace is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner focusing on toxin-free, natural living to its fullest extent. Her mission is to provide personalized integrative health solutions to create sustainable, lifelong change and enable you to live, love, and serve at your fullest health potential.
Rich and delicious chocolate, caramel and buttered shortbread squares. These Millionaire's Shortbread are Paleo, Vegan and can be Keto friendly!
Summer Fish Taco Bowls
These Paleo Fish Taco Bowls topped with sweet and tangy mango avo salsa and spicy mayo are the BEST light, flavorful and filling bowls ever.